There are many people who are great at managing. They are efficient, organized, and don’t mind delegating work to others. However, just because someone is a great manager it doesn’t necessarily mean they are a great leader. Leadership development is vital in the business world because it maximizes productivity while shaping a positive work culture. That said leadership is not always easy. Despite how effortlessly a manager makes their work appear, the reality is that a good leader is constantly facing challenges. That is when they turn to their team to help them solve problems together. Good leaders recognize that they do not possess all of the answers and they are constantly educating themselves to build on their leadership skills.
Leadership is one of the most important functions of a manager for a number of reasons. First off, a good leader motivates their employees to work hard and produce. Leaders also provide guidance by instructing their team in order to help them work efficiently and effectively. Leaders build confidence in their employees which in turn builds company morale. Finally, good leaders build a strong work environment by listening to their employees and letting their voices be heard. In short, it takes a strong leader to be an effective manager. Below are 10 quotes from some great leaders that can make a positive impact on managers.
- “The best leader is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it.”- Theodore Roosevelt
- “Before you are a leader success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader success is about growing others.”-Jack Welch
- “A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.”- John Maxwell
- “The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.” –Max DePree
- “Men make history and not the other way around. In periods where there is no leadership, society stands still. Progress occurs when courageous, skillful leaders seize the opportunity to change things for the better.”- Harry Truman
- “A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the equality of his actions and the integrity of his intent.”- Douglas MacArthur
- “No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself, or to get all the credit for doing it.”- Andrew Carnegie
- “Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”- General George Patton
- “Remember the difference between a boss and a leader, a boss says “Go!”- a leader says “Let’s go!” – E.M. Kelly
- “One measure of leadership is the caliber of people who choose to follow you.”- Dennis A. Peer